Minimalism & Productive Life (Part 1)


Helloo..
It's February now, so it rain less, but when it does, it poured so hard and flooded some areas in Jakarta..

So I'd like to share some changes in my life that i feel really helpful and positive. That being said is by implementing Minimalism lifestyle in order to be more productive. How can it be related at all you ask?

Let me start by sharing some literal definition of Minimalism. Minimalism is getting rid of excess stuff and living life based on experiences rather than worldly possessions (there are other definition on web of course, but this is enough for everyone to understand). There are many benefits of implementing minimalism, such as less expenses, free up some spaces in your life (literally), and my final objective, to be productive. Before i get to "How minimalism can make me more productive", i'd like to elaborate what kind of minimalism i've done :)

First of all i have to tell you, that i don't do it per se by the book guide or rules (i'm not sure if there are any rules, because i don't do much research actually lol). Truthfully speaking, i just watch some youtube videos for some inspiration, then there's Marie Kondo shows in Netflix (even though i haven't watched it yet, because i want to finish Brooklyn Nine-Nine first >.<), then there's Raditya Dika tweeting about Minimalism lifestyle and i want to try it with my own version.

For me, the main keys for being minimalist in your life are :
  • Get rid of everything you don't need. The indication you don't need something is when you haven't used it for the past 3 months (or the past 6 months). "You keep it in case you'll need it in the future" is just a white lies. Just admit you don't need it. Like Ted Mosby said, if you don't use it in the past months, it must go (you must throw it out). What things to get rid of? For me, It's none other :
    1. Clothes. The first thing i sort is what's in my wardrobe. Because i honestly keep all the clothes i have since i was in college.. Yes that's shocking. Maybe some of them i transfer to my home, to use when i visit my home, but 80% of them were still in my wardrobe. So i started evaluating my clothes. Every clothes which doesn't spark joy, have to go (Yes it's Marie Kondo reference ya'll lol). I understand that women tend to keep-the just in case you ever lose the weight- clothes as motivation, but nah, i would say it will never happen, but nope keep hoping up girls, but you don't need that clothes now in your wardrobe, so it has to go! I eliminate, in total 4 medium boxes, with additional of 1 gym bag and 4 sneakers that i rarely use, and donate them to Yayasan Infaq Dawah Centre. They pick a goods donation. There are many foundations alike around Jakarta. You can search them up :) 
    2. Make Up. Yes, make up need to be evaluated too! I don't when this started to happen, but i have tons of lipstick, liptin, and gloss. Some of them i realise purchase just because i wanted to try a new colour/doesn't have that colour yet or simply because it's just launched - victim of marketing strategy. The thing is, i've already decided my own colour, and only use these several types, so i rarely use the other colour. So i have to throw everything that i will not used. Other than lipstick, i only have average level of make up and skin care routine, enough for a pampering face once in while and suffice for  a formal event like wedding ceremony.
    3. Bags and Shoes. I already mention above, that i donated of 1 gym bag and 4 sneakers. But i also got rid of damaged bags and shoes which i were not aware i still possess.. This free up so much space in my room and shoe stack..
    4. Books. This i will say, has not been a successful one. Some books I already read have been transferred to my library at home, but still 80% of them are still in my room, mainly because there are still many i haven't read due to my impulsive purchase before (like Big Bad Wolf). But I'm working on it. I haven't bought as many books as last year anymore. Mainly bacause i already purchase a Kindle, so i read everything digitally now, without having to purchase the hardcopy. Except for domestic book such as Sirkus Pohon and Aroma Karsa..
    5. Accessories. This is shockingly fill up my room too. So i throw the little random thing i have, like dozens of pens which aren't working anymore, a broken pencil case, a devil headbands i bought when i went to JungleLand, and many other things..
  • No Impulsive Shop. After evaluating your possession, you are half way living minimalist you now you know, and you want to keep it that way? How? By not shopping impulsively. For me, of course i have to watch the 5 lists above. In the present time, i only purchase clothes for a really good reason like if there's a dress code with specific colour at office, and if i don't have it, then i will buy a new clothe.. But if there is no urgency (discount is not an urgency my dear friend), i will not buy anything. It's hard of course, but it also help me to save up more money than i used to :) It's also good to remember that, when purchasing something, you have to make sure that it is a good quality, and have a timeless fashion taste. For example, if i have to purchase a bag, i will make sure that its quality is super good, it's original, the zip is good, the material is good, it has everything i need the pockets and all, and it will suit every style i need to be, the formal one, the casual one, and the colour is neutral like black, beige, or grey so i can use it with whatever i wear that day. May be it'll cost more, but if you can use it for a long time, it will save you years later without having to buy any more bags :)
  • Manage your subscription. In this digital era, i am sure you have a subscription for at least one or two things. If you really have to subscribe, make sure you will use it well to its full potential. I, for example, have Netflix, and Evernote. I almost watch Netflix everyday, as a stress reliever and to keep the conversation going in social level. I use Evernote in daily basis too for work. It's actually free for 2 devices on, but i open and use it in 3 devices, so i need a subscription. It's actually the best subscription i had, because it helps me at work :) 
Implementing this lifestyle, i've definitely saved more money than i used to, be emotionally more stable to the idea of i'm doing something right and controlling my live well, and help me re-arrange my thoughts and priority.

I think that's all i can share for what i've done lately. It's really my own version and limited to what i can do at this time. Sure it seems a little, but actually it takes more work physically and mentally than what you can imagined lol. It's cool if you want to share more about this experience too.
I also want to continue in the next post about how it boost my productivity :) 
So see you 😊

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Story Night : Miracles in Jakarta by Ust. Nouman Ali Khan

New Movie and New Patronus!

Question - Discussion